Lately I have written about The Magic Cupboard that seems to yield a treasure each time I open the door. First, I went looking for photos for my Personal Profile and out tumbled Arline’s store of negatives from the early 1900’s. Next I went back looking for pictures for the I Smile for the Camera Carnival and found that I couldn’t find a thing. With a little encouragement from FootnoteMaven and Linda Stienstra I am proposing a Genea-Bloggers Challenge. How about a Treasure Hunt?
Maybe with a some cheerleading from other Genea-Bloggers we can clear out the genealogy clutter from a box, closet, or cupboard and even find a treasure. So, here’s the challenge.
- Select your destination. You probably have a genealogy Magic Cupboard in your house, too. Or maybe it’s a Secret Desk, a Treasure chest, or a Box of Wonders. (Some people call them a rat’s nest, Fibber McGee’s Closet, or just plain “stuff”.) It’s the place you put those valuable photos, documents, or relics to take care of “later.” The longer you live in one place, the more the magic grows.
- Make a plan (ie Treasure Map) to organize, preserve, document, return to rightful owners, pass on to relatives, or maybe even eliminate, keeping in mind the Sally Jacobs’ archival advice that we don’t have to save everything.
- Post your Plan/Treasure Map to your blog on or before Sept 30, 2008 AND send me an email with a link to your blog. Write Treasure Map in the subject line. A list of bloggers who have accepted the challenge will be posted at The Family Curator.
- Tackle that project. Post reports to your blog if you wish or ask for help if you get stuck. Let us know if you find some good tips to keep things moving or some greas archival supplies.
- Treasure! Post an article on your blog or share a photograph of your once-buried treasure.
- Send me an email with a link to your post for a final round-up of hunters. Write “Treasure” in the subject line. DEADLINE: Monday, Oct 20, 2008, midnight PDT. I will post the Treasure Hunt roundup during the week following.
Please post any questions or comments here, or email me, dmlevenick at gmail dot com. You can also find me at Facebook. Good luck Treasure Hunters!