Lately I’ve been trying to find a workaround to get my SquareSpace hosted blog into a print book. I haven’t been completely successful, yet, but I think I am getting closer to a solution. If you use WordPress or Blogger, you will be so happy that you don’t have this problem.
Blog2Print and Blurb BookSmart both offer easy solutions to move a blog into a book — as long as you are using Blogger, WordPress or TypePad. Blurb also accepts LiveJournal blogs. My blog platform, oh-why-did-I-have-to-be-different SquareSpace, is an odd duck out of the game.
SquareSpace Support seems to think this is a no-brainer project. They advise using the the Export facility (on the Journal congifuration page) to produce a full export of all blog posts; however the resulting MoveableType .txt file is not accepted by Blog2Print or Blurb. You have to go through some hoops, but it is do-able. Here’s how I moved my SS Blog to a Blurb BookSmart book.
1. In SquareSpace, access your Journal Page Configuration (following these instructions). You can only export your blog posts, the Journal, not the overall blog structure with multiple pages. Scroll down the configuration page to “export blog data” button and click the button. This copies all your blog posts to a Movable Type .txt file. Save it to your desktop.
2. Go to the MovableType to Blogger conversion page here. Skip the Steps 1-3 since you already have your .txt file. Follow the directions on Step 4: Choose your .txt file and click the Convert button. Step 5: Save this file to your desktop. Continue with Steps 6-9 to create a new blog on Blogger. You can also use a test blog; just turn off Permissions so it isn’t viewable by everyone. It can get messy. You will import the converted file into Blogger, populating it with your SquareSpace posts.
3. You will have an option to Publish on Import. If you select this option, all posts will be published and available. If you deselect the option, you will need to go into the Edit Post window and manually select posts to publish. Only Published posts will be moved into your blog book, but you will have another opportunity to select posts for your book when you are in the Blurb BookSmart application.
4. You should now have your blog posts in Blogger. Check View Blog to see that all posts transferred by comparing your monthly archive numbers with your SquareSpace archive count.
5. Now it’s time to move your blog to Blurb! Download the BookSmart desktop application, view the Blurb video, and follow the directions. It’s that easy.
A Few Tips I Learned Along the Way —
Decide how you want to break up your book. My blog begins July 2007, so I decided to do annual editions. My first blog book included posts from July 2007 through June 2010, the first three years.
Do you want to include photos? Blurb can “slurp” images from your blog but they may not print well due to the difference in web and print resolution. You can substitute the high-res images, but it will take more time.
Do you want to print your entire book, or just selected posts? My first book came out to be 388 pages — one blog post per page using the auto-populate feature. I haven’t decided if I will try to reformat to condense the length to a less costly book or go back just select my favorite posts to print. Another option is to print at home, or print to PDF; however the Blurb book will not include the cover and each page will have a Blurb watermark.
All the fancy formatting and page design of your blog does not carry over to a book. The export is strictly text and images.
If you know of a better way to accomplish this task, I would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment.